Rifle Paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Paint

Over the last 20 years I have painted a lot of guns. In the Army I've painted my M4 and SNIPER rifles while in Scouts and over seas. In the private sector, I have painted everything from a BB gun to used M72 LAW.

If you are looking for a long lasting coat of paint that holds up like a good anodizing, go for Cerakote or Duracoat. When done right you will get a smooth professional look. Single spray kits can cost you around $30-40. Both Cerakote and Duracoat hold up great on pistol wear from holster.

Amazingly enough, Krylon Camo spray paint works wonders for what it is. As long as you degrease your rifle very well the paint will last great. The key to painting anything is multiple thin layers. But what is great about rattle cans over Cerakote and Duracoat is when you mess up. With Krylon, you can just let it dry and re-spray. And because it only cost $3-5 a can, it won't break your bank. If you ever get sick of your pattern, just re-spray.

Cerakote Krylon with net Krylon with Kryptec design

I plan on rattle canning one of my AR's this weekend. I will post a picture when done.

Comment

Are you doing a pattern?

Comment

im a pretty solid fan of kg gunkote 2 years of using it and a couple thousand guns (we average about 40 per week) I actually like it better than using cerakote for production guns.

Comment

Comment

I have only heard good things about it. Never used it myself. What would you say the advantages of using Gunkote are?

Comment

I am debating between attempting multicam or just doing a netting type pattern of browns and some greens. It is storming today and humidy too high for my liking for spray painting so I am waiting until tomorrow. I already have various sizes of netting if I go that route but tonight I might cut some multicam shapes out of parchment paper covered on both sides with blue painters tape.

Comment

I used a can of Krylon to paint an old AK i had. Grabbed a few ferns out of the woods at the back of the property and went to work using earth tones. Not as sexy as some of the others but it did the job....so well that when I set it in the unmowed grass to dry I almost stepped on it when I came back an hour later.

Comment

It only needs to work right? I like using palmetto leaves too.

Comment

Anybody got a guide for painting an AK?

Comment

No different set up then painting others. Degrease parts to be painted (careful on synthetic and wood parts), tape off sights, multiple thin layers for base. The only thing I would do is use gun paint for the charging handle/bolt carrier. It moves and Krylon will not hold up. I painted my Arsenal with Duracoat and the paint has not worn.

Comment

For us the consensus in the shop to switch to it when we did was ease of application, color availability, very little is required to do an entire ak and the smoothness of finished coatings even when overlapping layers is fantastic.

Comment

Awesome work. I rattle canned my EBR M1A and it's peeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Phil

Affiliate Trainer: Crisis Application Group

Comment

Some rattle can laundry netting
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good!! What did you use for a template?

Comment

Working...
                              X